Friday, July 30, 2010

Heading for the River


Oil on paper (22" x 15")

This is a painting of an old Indian man headed towards the fiver Ganga for his morning ablutions and prayers. For those who dont know, Ganga holds a special place in the Hindu system. It is supposed to have the ability to cleanse everyone of his sins and curses. A small jar containing Ganga jal (water of ganga) can e found in each and every household in India. Coming back to the painting, I tried to do it with bold brush strokes. I am not particularly satisfied with the background. There are many confusing colour passages in there.
All comments and suggestions are most welcome. Please visit my blog here to see my other works too.

7 comments:

  1. It's a lovely painting. Not sure why you're not satisfied with the background, it looks good. The colors are subtle enough to not distract the eye, yet provide interest and movement to the background. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its perfect in every sense- great subject, perfect drawing and wonderful use of colors!His face is the focal point and you did it brilliantly.Very well done, vinayak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vinayak, very nice painting the attention given to all small small things like, slippers, bag, the scarf, clothes, beard is really very good ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vinayak, the old man is real for life, from the hawai slippers he is wearing to the beard he sports! Very beautiful job!The background is complimentary too, except that I find the person behind the old man little distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a colorful beautiful piece. I love Hindu teachings, use to read so much ...

    I'll never forget my first exposure (true or fiction I'll never know) it was Life and Teachings of the Masters of the Far East. Five or six volume set. To this day I still pick up the books for inspiration and motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone for the wonderful and encouraging comments. Its precisely these comments that keep me going!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely painting. When I think of India I think of colour. It must be the most colourful place on earth. I love his beard. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete