Thursday, August 11, 2022

Watercolor painting of a ship at New Mangalore by Manju Panchal


 Watercolor can leave me totally deflated and wondering why I 
chose it as a medium and then I am seduced again by a 
beautiful wash or the lacework of an intricate 
detail which is impossible to create in 
any other medium.” Joseph Zbukvik 

Last year I had the opportunity to visit my husband’s ship which 
had arrived at New Mangalore port for loading cargo in bulk. 
One morning when I got up and looked out 
of the porthole, I saw this “Bulk Carrier” 
parked at the jetty on the opposite side. 
It had probably arrived at night for loading. 
The atmosphere was a bit hazy I loved the scene,
 the mood and the composition. I had 
decided then that someday I shall paint 
the story of this ship. Painting is quite like 
story telling. I paint what is on my mind 
and leave the rest to the viewer to interpret 
it in his/her own way.

I have used a very limited palette of Colors

A Ship at berth , A watercolor painting on Arches Cold pressed paper

Ship at Berth
A water colour painting on Arches CP paper
Size 5” X 7”

A Bulk Carrier at Mangalore Port

Reference photo taken at 
New Mangalore port

Check out my artworks on my Blog and Instagram feed too.

No comments:

Post a Comment